“There is one who pretends to be rich, but has nothing; Another pretends to be poor, but has great wealth.” -Proverbs 13:7
Which person would you rather be?
The American dream has turned into a nightmare of burdensome debt and unfulfilling materialism. Yet this so-called dream has gone largely unchallenged. At Pretend to Be Poor, we propose another way: why not live on less so you can have more flexibility with your career, family, and other interests? We’re not talking about living in a cardboard box or becoming a Scrooge. Just simple, sensible solutions that anyone can live with, that will free us up in countless ways.
We are Neil, an engineer, and Kalie, a stay-at-home mother and the voice of this blog. We want to offer a solution to the financial problems many people face, and much of it begins with a mindset we’ve found in the Bible. The practical follows, and we’ll flesh out both in this blog. So join our family on a journey to pretend to be poor.
If you want a better feel for what this blog is all about check out the following classic posts:
- The Secret to Financial Freedom
- Inflate Your Usefulness, Not Your Lifestyle
- Why You’re Failing at Frugality
- Is Minimalism the New Materialism?
- Live Like Grandma Challenge
- What Seeing Real Poverty Showed Me About Pretending to Be Poor
- Welcome to Pretend to Be Poor
- What Are You Working For?
- Life is Not About Your Preferences